The Fluval Edge Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No amonia spike in new setup?

2 posters

Go down

No amonia spike in new setup? Empty No amonia spike in new setup?

Post  steindler63 Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi all,

Been lurking for a couple of months learning a lot about freshwater nano tanks since I decided to buy the 6 gal fluval edge.

One of the things I've read about is the amonia spike that is expected during the first cycle. I'm on my 5th week and still no spike. I decided to cycle it with fish so I got 3 glo danio to help cycle. After 3 weeks, I purchased a small algae eater and after 4 weeks, I thres 3 ghost shrimp in also. I have three live plants, Japanese moss ball.

I've been doing 2 gal water changes each weekend and testing the water just prior. All tests have been in the normal range after 5 weeks. My amonia reading for the last 2 weeks has been a steady .25

Fish seem healthy & happy.

So, should I expect the amonia to spike? Am I changing water too often? Your thoughts?

steindler63

Back to top Go down

No amonia spike in new setup? Empty It is all so confusing.

Post  MelissaP Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Remember the good old days when we didn't know better and just bought a tank and fish on the same day, threw everything in and kept our fingers crossed? I am so grateful we know more now and after twenty some tankless years, I am the proud yet somewhat apprehensive owner of a 6 gallon Fluval Edge purchased 4 days ago. I have it planted with live plants, did the cycling with the Nutrafin Cycle provided with the set up, and with the guidance of my local pet shop owner, added 3 rummy nose tetras yesterday. So far, so good. I am seeing a slight ammonia increase today after virtually zero the 2nd day post set-up. No water changes yet. There is so much conflicting information out there that I decided to mostly listen to my local guy who I will be doing all my fish purchasing from. How are things now?

MelissaP
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down