The Fluval Edge Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Algae Problems

2 posters

Go down

Algae Problems Empty Algae Problems

Post  MelissaP Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi everybody. Melissa in Colorado here. My 6 gallon planted Fluval Edge has been up and running for a little over a month. I've stocked it with 12 cherry shrimp (population is growing!), 3 rummy nose tetras, 3 glowlight tetras and 3 Endlers live bearers. I wanted the tank set up in a central place in the house so it's on the island in our kitchen and all inhabitants are doing well. I am getting quite a bit of algae growth which I was expecting but am finding it impossible to clean the algae off the glass in the corners of the tank with my algae magnet. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Smile

MelissaP
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Algae Problems Empty Re: Algae Problems

Post  jwebbe Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:31 pm

Hello Melissa!

A few questions for you -
What kind of algae is it? Green? Brown?
Depending on what you have - if you have green algae, you may have to cut down on the photoperiod of your lighting.
How long do you have your lights on? Is your tank near a window or where it gets natural lighting?

If you have brown type of algae, it may be diatoms which is a normal process in new tanks.

Is your tank cycled? Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? How long has your tank been running?

Also, you could get a few small snails such as Malaysian trumpet snails to help with the algae - or Nerite snails. Your tank is pretty well stocked so I wouldn't suggest any more than 2 Nerites or a few MTS snails. I would say Nerite snails because they won't breed in fresh water whereas the Malaysians will.

Junne

jwebbe
Otto

Back to top Go down

Post  MelissaP Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks for your response, Junne! My tank's been running for about six weeks now. I used the Nutrafin Cycle that came with the tank to cycle it. The algae is all green and yes, the tank gets natural light from every direction so I only have the lights on for a bit in the evening since I can see everybody just fine without the lights during the day. I thought about snails too and will see if my LFS has some...good advice about the non-breeding ones! Snails should be fine with my cherry shrimp? I've also thought about covering the tank some during the day to cut down on the light exposure. I don't want tonuse the anti-algae chemicals since I have read that it could kill my shrimp. Thanks again for your help!

MelissaP
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Post  jwebbe Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:55 pm

I agree. Try not to use chemicals to cut out the algae. Just cut down on the natural light and I am sure it will go away. You will need to either scrape it off and suction it out at water change or get some snails.

I have 4 Nerite snails in my main tank ( not the fluval edge - I have MTS snails in that one ) and they seem to do a good job keeping the algae down. In fact, I have none but did at one time.

The only thing about the Nerite snails is that although they don't breed in fresh water, they DO leave tiny white eggs EVERYWHERE! They are hard to get off the glass but they do eventually go away on their own.....

I would get one Nerite just for that reason and hope it isn't female Wink Plus with the algae you have, you may not have to feed your snail for a very long time. It will take care of that for you Smile

Good luck

jwebbe
Otto

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum