The Fluval Edge Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Aqua Forest Set up

2 posters

Go down

New Aqua Forest Set up Empty New Aqua Forest Set up

Post  newb13 Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:23 pm

My first tank. I have the fluval edge and am trying to do a simple aqua forest amano set up. I'm referencing the guide but for a small 31x28x24 tank with a small garden and only a few fish, is a filtration system still necessary?

Also, how do I determine what the CO2 level and bubble count should be ?

Thanks

newb13
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

New Aqua Forest Set up Empty Re: New Aqua Forest Set up

Post  rickO2 Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:51 am

The fish will die without the filter. The filter should be 'cycled' over a number of weeks (up to six) to give the beneficial bacteria (BB) a chance to establish before adding fish. The BB converts the fish sewage (ammonia) to nitrite and finally to nitrate...only nitrate is tolerated by the fish. Here's a good read on Cycling ... http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/cycling.htm

You need to put the hard work in now...temper your enthusiasim to get a tank stocked with fish as soon as you it get home...it'll be worth it in the long run, and you'll learn so much more about keeping fish and keeping them healthy.

You'll need a test kit to monitor the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate over the Cycling period and for the years that follow eg http://www.amazon.co.uk/API-Master-Test-Freshwater-120g/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357922986&sr=8-1

Welcome to the hobby,

Regards,

Rick
rickO2
rickO2
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Post  newb13 Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks Rick. I went to a shop and spoke to a few people. I studied up on some plants and set up and first thing first is i need to grow the plants and balance out the ecosystem over a period of a few weeks. Then comes the fish...

Will post up some pics when i get things rolling.

newb13
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum