The Fluval Edge Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Automatic feeders

2 posters

Go down

Automatic feeders Empty Automatic feeders

Post  TheSteels Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:46 am

My Husband and I are looking at purchasing our first tank and love the minimal stylish design of the Fluval Edge 46l. We would like advice/recommendations on automatic feeders for this tank for times when we are away please? I have heard that there are some issues due to the sealed unit design. Unfortunately having a fish sitter or neighbours popping in during these times is not an option. It will be some time before we are due to be away (over a year or possibly longer) so it seems the ideal opportunity to establish our tank and test the feeders. Above all we want to be sure that the fish etc are all happy and healthy!
TheSteels
TheSteels
Neon Tetra

http://thepapermulberry.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Automatic feeders Empty Re: Automatic feeders

Post  jwebbe Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:54 am

TheSteels wrote:My Husband and I are looking at purchasing our first tank and love the minimal stylish design of the Fluval Edge 46l.  We would like advice/recommendations on automatic feeders for this tank for times when we are away please?  I have heard that there are some issues due to the sealed unit design.  Unfortunately having a fish sitter or neighbours popping in during these times is not an option.  It will be some time before we are due to be away (over a year or possibly longer) so it seems the ideal opportunity to establish our tank and test the feeders.  Above all we want to be sure that the fish etc are all happy and healthy!

I don't know of any feeders that will fit unless you take the top off. You can fit a small one on there with the lid off - What kind of fish do you have in your edge and how long will you be gone for? MOST fish can go a week + without being fed - you could also use one of those feeding blocks if you are going to be gone a real long time.

jwebbe
Otto

Back to top Go down

Automatic feeders Empty Automatic feeders

Post  TheSteels Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:12 am

Thank you so much for responding jwebbe! We have neither the Edge or the fish yet! We want to make sure we buy the most suitable so that we have happy fish and happy us! I very much like the idea of a small shoal of golden White Cloud Minnow after seeing a beautiful tank on youtube. We would be away for 2 weeks maximum but I'm not sure I could bring myself to leave them without food for a whole week let alone 2. I've also read that the food blocks can cause the water to foul, have you ever used them? It's a pity they don't make a Fluval Edge specific feeder. I wonder if there is a way of having the fish self sufficient for a short time, something to graze on that won't cause a problem with the water? Perhaps there's a more appropriate fish for us?
TheSteels
TheSteels
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Post  jwebbe Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:21 am

Personally, I do not like the self feeding blocks. I think it encourages the fish to over eat since they will have free rein of food. I have left my fish alone with no food for a week. Its better to go without food than too much as the water gets fouled up quicker, especially in a small tank such as the fluval.

If you are going to be gone 2 weeks and don't have anyone to watch your future tank, I would wait until after you get back to start one up. If you were only gone a week, then I would go the no feeding route.
Also to note, the fluval edge comes stock with a aquaclear filter ( branded under Fluval but same company ) and I would be more worried about the filter. In my experience, I have had the power go out and the water would drain and lose suction. After the power comes back on and the filter starts, the water does not automatically siphon back up through the intake ( self prime ) and I have had my filter running ( no water ) and an hour later, it would be super hot ( dangerous )
I have since changed my fluval filter to a nano canister ( modified the back of the lid to accommodate the hose/lines ) because the canister self primes and I don't have to worry about it not starting right the first time it loses power.

Anyways, good luck

jwebbe
Otto

Back to top Go down

Post  TheSteels Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:32 am

Oh dear perhaps fish keeping isn't for us, the 2 weeks would be an annual event (holidays) and perhaps twice a year.  Surely there are other Edge owners that have holidays and house alarm system making it too complex to ask neighbours to pop in?  This is why we needed to investigate things prior to buying, I love the edge but perhaps it's design isn't suitable for our needs? Thank you for your help and good wishes - it sounds like we may need them!
TheSteels
TheSteels
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum