The Fluval Edge Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fishless Cycle - Idiots Guide

3 posters

Go down

Fishless Cycle - Idiots Guide Empty Fishless Cycle - Idiots Guide

Post  AshH Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm very concious of setting this up right to give my fish the best chances of surviving, if some of you could share your experiences with doing the cycle with your tank it would be much appreciated. I've done some reading and it has presented me with a couple of questions, is it better to have plants in when doing the cycle also, is a 'food based' cycle better opposed to 'pure ammonia'. And the last question is, should I use the conditioning treatments etc provided with the tank.

Sorry if I have offended anyone with my stupid questions, I just wanna make sure I get things right.

Many Thanks for your help in advanced.

Ash

46L Fluval Edge Smile

AshH

http://www.twitter.co.uk/ashyhill

Back to top Go down

Fishless Cycle - Idiots Guide Empty Re: Fishless Cycle - Idiots Guide

Post  rickO2 Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:07 pm

Hi Ash,

Here's a good guide.... http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm

I cycled a tank recently; it took about 6 weeks. I dosed it with measured amounts of ammonia but crumbled fish flakes will do fine. Initially you will get Ammonia readings followed by Ammonia and Nitrite and then Nitrate too. Ammonia and Nitrite are the bad ones and you need to get these down to zero and the Nitrate down to 5-40 ppm, say.

You'll need a test kit to measure these. You'll also be able to use the test kit to keep an eye on things once the tank is cycled and has fish in it. This is the API Freshwater Master Test Kit that quite a lot of folks use.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1340387990&sr=1-1 You'll probably find it in your local fish shop (lfs) if you want to give them your business, which is always a good idea since although they may be a bit more expensive you get their advice on a whole range of topics for free.

Regards,

Ricky
rickO2
rickO2
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Post  jwebbe Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:10 pm

I have done the fish-in-tank cycling ( took 2+ months ) and am now doing the fishless/ammonia cycle.

Personally, I think the ammonia cycle is the quickest way to go and not hurt any fish in the process. If you can do this method, it does take patience and daily testing. Smile
I am on day #14 today and just got my Nitrate readings so hopefully in a week or maybe sooner, I can add my fish.

Good luck,

Junne

jwebbe
Otto

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down