The Fluval Edge Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lighting Unit Not Working?

+2
fishtastic
Kelly
6 posters

Go down

Lighting Unit Not Working? Empty Lighting Unit Not Working?

Post  Kelly Fri May 06, 2011 4:42 am

I've had my Edge for nearly a year, change bulbs few times with no problems. Needed new ones again, when tried turning back on with new bulbs, nothing? No light and I know bulbs aren't broken. Any ideas on how to fix? As the plug is sealed and hasn't a fuse I'm at a loose end? I haven't any manuals as I bought this tank 2nd hand.

Kelly

Back to top Go down

Lighting Unit Not Working? Empty Re: Lighting Unit Not Working?

Post  fishtastic Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:01 am

hey

I have got the same problem with my lighting unit..I am currently looking for somewhere to but a new one
I'll let you know if I find anywhere

Cheska

fishtastic
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveFE Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:58 am

The new uk 1.8watt (x2) led fluval edge comes with a 220-240volt Ktec model KA23A120 lighting transformer rated at 1680 milli amperes which I assume is also the standard type shipped for the older halogen 10 watt 12 volt lights.
Both types of lamps are interchangeable in pairs however I have read many people that have tried to upgrade their lights without understanding the load requirements for the transformer to maintain the required volts so the new lights or LEDs don't work.
For this reason I would always buy either the official Fluval leds or ones that are designed with a built in voltage regulator to withstand higher input voltages (due to lighter led loading) so that they last more than a few months. Alternatively the led suppliers will usually be happy to sell you a separate led driver transformer with non-regulated leds.

DaveFE
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Post  rickO2 Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:17 am

Yes, the existing Ktec Edge Mk I transformer Model number says 'KA23A12016801K'. and Output:12V ~ 1680mA

Admin posts on this board from and the chap I spoke to at SeaPets confirm the above transformer is suitable for the new Fluval LED lamps.

I've ordered a couple of the new Fluval LEDs from SeaPets. I'll post on how they perform once I get them.

Ricky
rickO2
rickO2
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Post  MrGator Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:39 pm

As above, the new official LEDs are designed to replace the original halogens. Seperate LED drivers are not required.

Ricky, a review would be good, if you get the chance!

Magister
MrGator
MrGator
Angelfish

http://www.fluvaledgeforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  rickO2 Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:33 am

Just received the new LEDs from SeaPets at £25 for the two. Very well packaged in a 6x4x4" carton.

I've now taken a couple of Before and After images:

https://i.servimg.com/u/f49/16/79/84/93/edge-h11.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f49/16/79/84/93/edge-l12.jpg

The halogen light was a much warmer colour, but didn't reach the front of the tank. The LED light does seem a bit brighter and more blue, and perhaps covers a slightly larger footprint.

So my hopes are that a) the LEDs will not be heating the water at the top of the tank b) frying two Cherry Shrimp, which I suspect the halogens did! c) encouraging better and quicker plant growth and d) using less electricity.

If there's anything of further note I will post here.

Regards,

Ricky

rickO2
rickO2
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Lighting Unit Not Working? Empty Erm

Post  sirnedalot Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:52 am

Some sound advice, however slightly by-passing the subject. Do Fluval not do replacement light unit's, their customer services system is appauling.

sirnedalot

Back to top Go down

Lighting Unit Not Working? Empty replacement

Post  fishtastic Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:29 pm

I have contacted the company who manufacture the tanks and they do come with a 2 year waranty so I can get the light unit replaced from where I brought it

Cheska

fishtastic
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down