The Fluval Edge Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sand in new 46Lt

2 posters

Go down

Sand in new 46Lt Empty Sand in new 46Lt

Post  wasim6oc Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:31 am

Hello,

We have just taken delivery of a new 46Ltr Edge to complement our 250Ltr 120cm Cleair aquarium.

We have used aquatic sand this time as opposed to shingle etc.

However several days after putting in plants and rocks (artificial) it's still very cloudy and shows no sign of clearing.

We are using a Philips Tropical Aquarium Purifier (PTAP) in addition to the Edge Filter, we have found these very effective in the larger tank.

The problem with the displacement of sand started once I switched on the PTAP - the pump running it was too powerful and created a sandstorm!!!

My fault of course and since the initial switch on I have now restricted the flow of the pump but the visibility is still totally unacceptable - just wondering if any of guys and girls have any idea how long sand takes to settle - I'm thinking I may have to start again and use pre-washed shingle?

Thanks

Ian
Norfolk UK

wasim6oc
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Sand in new 46Lt Empty Re: Sand in new 46Lt

Post  MrGator Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Ian,

the best thing you could do is add a floculant such as Interpet Filter Aid. Make sure you don't have the pre-filter sponge on the filter intake, add the floculant and it should clear within the hour.

Rinse your filter sponge 24 hours later in treated water.

Magiser What a Face
MrGator
MrGator
Angelfish

http://www.fluvaledgeforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  wasim6oc Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:52 am

Many thanks for your response, cannot obtain 'Filter Aid' locally - so eBay has stepped into help - should be with us tomorrow!

In the meantime the PTAP is working hard and succeeding in clearing up the fog!

I'll report back later - hopefully with a decent picture

Thanks

Ian

wasim6oc
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down