The Fluval Edge Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Long For Heater To Warm Up Tank

2 posters

Go down

How Long For Heater To Warm Up Tank Empty How Long For Heater To Warm Up Tank

Post  ninjaguy Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:21 am

Hi all,

I just finished kitting out my Edge this afternoon, including the Fluval 25W heater.
How long will it take the heater to increase the temperature in the tank to the recommended 26 degrees? Ambient in the room is about 22 degrees at the moment.

Regards,

Colin

ninjaguy
Betta

Back to top Go down

How Long For Heater To Warm Up Tank Empty Re: How Long For Heater To Warm Up Tank

Post  MrGator Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:59 am

Hello Colin,

welcome to the forum!

I'd say one to two hours to get up to temperature - if you've only finished setting up the tank today, you will need to cycle the tank before you stock it.

Many people recommend fishless cycling with ammonia dosing for a few weeks, but I personally opt for a fish-in cycle with a hardy fish such as a zebra danio.

You may also be able to get some seeded media from a friend/LFS to add to the tank to speed up the process.

If you fully stock your tank without cycling the fish are likely to die.

Post some pics of your setup ASAP!

Seanny What a Face
MrGator
MrGator
Angelfish

http://www.fluvaledgeforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

How Long For Heater To Warm Up Tank Empty Re: How Long For Heater To Warm Up Tank

Post  ninjaguy Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:19 pm

My thermometer must be knackered because it's went only went up as far as 12.3 degrees, starting from 5.5 degrees when filled.

With regards to stocking the tank, my brother in law apparently has plenty of surplus due to some particularly fertile action in his tank. I will need to investigate which types he has.

I'll get a new thermometer and report back.

Regards,

Col

ninjaguy
Betta

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjaguy Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:51 pm

Quick update,

New thermometer installed..24-26 degrees, pretty steady. I actually installed the submersible type from the Bio orb.
Only trouble now is that the pump is still really oisy after over a week of running.

Regards,

Colin

ninjaguy
Betta

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjaguy Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:35 am

Replying to my own post here.
Has anyone had any experience of the Hagen 25W heater going fauly? After my last 25% water change, the temperature will now not go above 22 degrees. The LED on the heater is lit, but the tank remains colder than it has been. I was told you cannot test this heater out of the water, because it trips off due to heat build up.
Any suggestions anyone?

Regards,

Colin

ninjaguy
Betta

Back to top Go down

Post  ninjaguy Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Replying to my own post again.....not really much interest in this forum which is a pity.
I got the heater replaced and now the temperature is hovering around 26 degrees again, job done.

ninjaguy
Betta

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down