The Fluval Edge Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible fix for noisy pump / impeller (well it works for me)

5 posters

Go down

Possible fix for noisy pump / impeller (well it works for me) Empty Possible fix for noisy pump / impeller (well it works for me)

Post  themoschops Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:53 am

Hello everyone. I recently got an edge and have had the same sort of problems as other people. EG my heater stuck on increasing temperature to 32 degrees, I got my heater replaced and it seems to work fine now. Anyway the pump, right from the start mine was very noisy making a vibrating noise that seems to resonate throughout the filter assembly. I discovered by accident that if you switch off the pump and then fairly quickly switch it back on within a few seconds, this will always make the pump go from being noisy to almost silent. It might take a few attempts and slight variations in the length of time from a couple of seconds to about 10. I have found that this always works for me. I generally have to do it if I have stopped my pump for a few minutes such as when I am cleaning out my tank.

I did contact Hagen about this and was sent a new impeller but this made no difference.

I hope this information is helpful to people.

PLEASE POST A REPLY IF IT HELPED YOU THANKS

themoschops
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Possible fix for noisy pump / impeller (well it works for me) Empty good shout

Post  devine Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:08 am

Ill give this a go cheers for trhe tip!

devine
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Possible fix for noisy pump / impeller (well it works for me) Empty Re: Possible fix for noisy pump / impeller (well it works for me)

Post  dessie123 Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:03 am

anther thing with the pump/filter unit, is that is its not level the impeller spins at a slight angle, make sure you use the small plastic levelling tool that came with your edge mine was making lots of noise till i levelled the filter unit.

dessie123
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Possible fix for noisy pump / impeller (well it works for me) Empty Re: Possible fix for noisy pump / impeller (well it works for me)

Post  pichur25 Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:42 am

Hi, Had my pump running for a month now and the noise was awfull, had a look while I was doing a water change, sort of pushed down hard on the propeller and played with the levelling bracket (although the pump now looks like its not level) swithed it on primed the air out and it was silent! so quiet infact i had to keep checking on it to see if it was still working! Its been a week now and all is well!

pichur25
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Post  rickO2 Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:48 am

Hi,

Yeah, as pichur25 says, coaxing the air out of the plastic filter pipe seems to help reduce pump noise.

I've also noticed that if I clean the pump it runs noisy again. I wonder if the gunk that collects around the propeller mechanism helps lubricate it and also acts as a sound damper?

Also, as thermochops says, switching the pump on and off (maybe up to 4 or 5 times) can stop the pump rattling.

The pump rattle can also fade away by itself over a couple of weeks.

Ricky
rickO2
rickO2
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down