The Fluval Edge Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My light unit won't turn on

2 posters

Go down

My light unit won't turn on Empty My light unit won't turn on

Post  Jenny Wren Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:11 pm

I just set up my new Edge 6 gallon tank. Everything is perfect, except... the light unit won't turn on. The switch doesn't feel right when I push it. You do push it, don't you?
Any advise? Thanks!!

Jenny Wren
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

My light unit won't turn on Empty Re: My light unit won't turn on

Post  Michaelx105 Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:34 am

Hi Jenny,

The waterproof bubble over the switch can make it a bit awkward to use but press down on it quite hard while holding the lighting unit with your other hand for support. Has the rocker switch fully moved to the '1' position? If you're not sure, press the switch on and off several times to get used to the feel of it. Did you buy the original Edge with removable bulbs? For the 2nd Gen Edge it won't be an issue as the light system is built in, but assuming you bought the original maybe remove the bulbs and fit them again. British plugs tend to have a fuse in them and should be checked by replacing it with another fuse before switching the light unit on. If you're in the US you'll be using an American plug and I don't know if they contain fuses...

Cheers cheers

Michaelx105
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Wren Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:01 am

Thank you!

I have now figured out that it IS a rocker switch. It is VERY hard to operate. I push right here and there and the blue LEDs light. It then will switch easilt back off. Then I push left and push here and there...the white lights are VERY hard to turn on. Eventually I get it but one of these times I'm just convinced I won't be able to push in the exact right spot to turn the light on.

Another question? It seems like since its such an inconvenience to turn the light on and off, then perhaps you can leave it on? Or must it be turned off each night?

Taking off the top is easy, turning the light on/off is difficult, getting the top squarely back on always creates a thump which the fish don't like very much. Without the click/thump, the top doesn't go down to the glass all the way and the lights shine through the crack...

But otherwise, I really really like this fish tank!

Jenny Wren
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny Wren Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:24 am

I talked to customer service yesterday. Take it for what its worth, but the woman who answered the phone asked someone else there and then came back on the phone and said, "Just take the waterproof cover off the switch". I was startled and asked for clarification. She said, "Just pry it off and see if its better". Hmmmmm.....

Jenny Wren
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Post  Michaelx105 Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:09 pm

If it was okay for the switch to be without the waterproof bubble I'm sure it would have been sold without it...shop staff often don't know what they're talking about. If you do remove it try wrapping some cling film around it to keep the water out Wink

Michaelx105
Guppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down