The Fluval Edge Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fluval edge 6 gallon FILTER question

2 posters

Go down

Fluval edge 6 gallon FILTER question Empty Fluval edge 6 gallon FILTER question

Post  jwebbe Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:26 pm

My Fluval edge filter doesn't have the capability to restart after a power loss. Sad I don't like this but don't know what else I can do, or if it can somehow modified.
Example: after turning off the power, I have to manually add water to the tank or it will not work - at least I don't think it does but I didn't want to take the chance of it "gurgling" like it is out of water and ruining it... Does that make sense?

My HOB filter on my 36 gallon restarts after turning the power on/off and I don't need to do anything, the water automatically recirculates and flows.

Is there anything I can do? I LOVE my tank otherwise

Thanks!

Junne

jwebbe
Otto

Back to top Go down

Fluval edge 6 gallon FILTER question Empty Re: Fluval edge 6 gallon FILTER question

Post  jwebbe Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:15 pm

Anyone?????? Crying or Very sad

jwebbe
Otto

Back to top Go down

Fluval edge 6 gallon FILTER question Empty Re: Fluval edge 6 gallon FILTER question

Post  rickO2 Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:40 am

Restart after power loss: My 23L Edge filter sometimes won't restart after being switched off, say for water changes. It's usually solved by switching the mains On/Off a few times with a gap of 3 or 4 seconds between each try. I have also had success with wiggling the power lead from the Power Supply to where it enters the Filter.

Adding water etc: I'm not sure if I really understand your problem, but after water changes there will usually be air trapped in the Filter and it's pipework....you have to get this air out for the Filter to work properly. Sometimes just switching the power back on is enough for the Filter system 'to clear it's throat', but usually I have to swing the Filter-Inlet pipe to the Max Flow position and press down for a few seconds and swing it to the Min Flow position and press down for a few seconds. This sometimes needs to be done seven or eight times.....what you are trying to do is tease the air out of the system.

The 'gurgling' you hear is the air making it's way around the Filter and it's pipework. Once all the air has left the system you will find you may need to top up the water level since it was being artificially raised by the air.

Regards,

Ricky
rickO2
rickO2
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Post  jwebbe Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Hello there!
Thanks for your reply.... I probably didn't word it correctly or say it right.....

You know on the filter, when you first start it up, you fill the top of it with water and then turn it on. Well, when the power goes off or there is a loss of power, all of the water drains back in to the tank automatically. So when the power comes back, there is no water in the tank. This will make it gurgle and keep running and no water is coming in to the tank ( I fear it will burn out )
But as soon as I fill the tank up with the water, it starts processing it normally. Does that make sense?
My 5 gallon is the same way - it has to have water in the tank and when theres loss of power, all of the water drains back in to the tank and I NEED TO ADD THE WATER MANUALLY to get it going...... Sad

My 36 gallon hob filter is different. As soon as there is a loss of power and then the power is restored, the filter still has water in the tank and it starts automatically without anything from me. Very Happy
If for some reason I go away for a longer period of time, I don't want my filter burning out as it is trying to run with no water in it.....

jwebbe
Otto

Back to top Go down

Post  rickO2 Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:12 am

Hi jwebbe,

Do you have the Edge filled up to the normal level when operating ie about 1/4" (6 mm) up the raised lip? If you were running it with a large air gap under the top glass surface then maybe that might cause your problem.

But otherwise, I can only guess that you have had air trapped in the Filter + pipework that becomes noticable when you stop the Filter.

I usually get the 'gurgling' sound you mention when restarting after a water change, but not after a simple Stop/Start of the Filter. Maybe when doing a water change you need to make sure there is no air in the Filter + pipework. You can do a visual check (to some extent) on the pipework ie look at the inverted 'U' part of the pipework that traverses the inlet pipe and inlet hole of the Filter...it should be full of water under normal operating conditions - if not then you need to tease the air out as I described in my previous post.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Regards,

Ricky

rickO2
rickO2
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Post  jwebbe Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks Ricky! I do appreciate all of your help. I guess I AM NOT explaining it correctly or don't know how to explain it.

Let me try this way:

On my 36 gallon tank with the HOB filter, if I turn it off to do maintenance, all I ever have to do it turn the power back on and everything starts normally, water runs down, everything is fine. WATER ALWAYS remains in the reservoir so no need to refill it.

On my other tank ( same problem with Fluval ) when power is turned off, ALL of the water remaining in the reservoir empties IN TO THE TANK and so when I turn the power back on, THERE IS NO WATER in the reservoir of the filter...... Does that make sense?
I AM TOLD by MOST aquarium experts I have spoken to that THIS IS TYPICAL for my 5 gallon Aqueon tank so I live with it.

What my concern was, that my FLUVAL ALSO does the same thing and was wondering if this is just a typical filter flaw WHERE IT DOES NOT start up automatically - what I mean by automatically is that the water STAYS IN THE reservoir and flows automatically and there is no need for me to ADD water to get the process going......

So everytime my power goes out, one of my filters is always operational, the other 2 are not........ I was hoping there was a fix, or maybe a different type of filter ( canister ) thats compatible with the fluval.

Thanks you Smile

jwebbe
Otto

Back to top Go down

Post  rickO2 Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:58 am

Hi jwebbe,

I've had a look at my Edge water levels with Power On and Power Off and I can see that the water level in the two Filter chambers does drop down surprisingly far down with the Power Off. However, when I Power On there is no gurgling and the water level returns to the normal Power On level. It's worth noting that even when the water level has dropped down to the minimum Power Off level, the Inlet Tube still remains full of water.

Thoughts:

Have you got the Inlet Tube (with the inverted 'U') fully pushed down onto the Filter inlet opening? If it isn't fully down, then when the Power is Off and the water level has dropped down it may be dropping below the Inlet Tube bottom which should be in firm contact with the Filter inlet hole opening...if it isn't hard up against the Filter inlet hole then air might be sucked into the Filter inlet hole rather than sucking water from the tank via the Inlet Tube.

Also, make sure there is no air trapped in the inlet tube from earlier water changes.

I took some pics but for some reason I can't upload them...the hosting software is hanging.

Regards,

Ricky

rickO2
rickO2
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Post  jwebbe Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:23 am

Thank you.
I will check that later this morning when I test my water and let you know if this corrects it.

Thanks again for your response! Otherwise I really think I will enjoy this tank. So much more decorative than my regular 5 gallon set up! Very Happy
If you want to see what it looks like so far, I have a picture loaded in the gallery.
I know what you mean by the server hanging up on loading pictures. Took me awhile too.

Luckily, in the 2 yrs that I have lived here, I have only had maybe 2 power outages that lasted only a few minutes.... I still worry though that my tank may be not filtered ( with my Betta in it ) all day if I am gone for the day........

Junne

jwebbe
Otto

Back to top Go down

Post  jwebbe Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:01 pm

Hello Ricky!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!! It WAS the Inlet Tube bottom.. I reseated it and did what you asked and it WORKED!
Although it took about a minute or two for the water to be sucked up the intake, it finally got it on its own and started flowing as normal.
Thanks again for my USER ERROR! Embarassed

Junne

jwebbe
Otto

Back to top Go down

Post  rickO2 Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:13 am

That's good news Junne :-)

I also noticed from your tank picture on the gallery that you appear to be running your tank with a 1/2" air gap between the top of the water and the top glass surface. That air gap may mean that your Filter Inlet Tube was even more susceptible to air getting in between it and the Filter inlet hole....might be worth keeping an eye on that for the future.

Do you have air breathing fish in your tank, hence the 1/2" air gap? If you don't then you can fill the tank right up until the water is about 1/4" - 1/2" up the raised lip.

Have a good weekend,

Regards,

Ricky

Edit: I see you are going to keep a Betta in the Edge, hence the air gap.
rickO2
rickO2
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Post  jwebbe Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:35 am

Yes, there is an air gap because of all of the maintenance/moving stuff around I have been doing. That way when I put my hand in there, the water is not all over the place Shocked
I was filling it up all the way but it seems I keep moving things around Very Happy

My tank is on day #14 of the fishless/ammonia cycle. I have only gotten high Nitrites a few days ago so now I cut back on the ammonia, waiting for Nitrates to come up and ammonia and Nitrites to go to zero. at that point, I will do a 25% water change, dose with PRIME and then put in my one Betta and fill it up. I also plan on getting a few Malaysian Trumpet Snails ( I already got the pre-filter sponge to cover intake ) and then I am all set!

Thanks for all of your help!

Junne

jwebbe
Otto

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down