The Fluval Edge Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just transferred my 10 gallon tank to my new Fluval edge 6 gallon

2 posters

Go down

Just transferred my 10 gallon tank to my new Fluval edge 6 gallon Empty Just transferred my 10 gallon tank to my new Fluval edge 6 gallon

Post  Jc19 Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:03 pm

I just set up my new Fluval edge 6 gallon (w/ hallogen lights). I used all my old water that has cycled for a couple of months and my 5 fish - 1 tiger barb, 1 green barb, 1 gold barb, and 2 pink barbs. Unfortunately, in the morning my noticed my tiger and my green died. Sad. Now my water is a little cloudy and I'm afraid my other 3 fish are going to die. Any suggestions why they died? The guy at the fish store said they were going to be ok. I dont know if they were just so stressed from the move or what. I'm going to get my water tested tomorrow. Any advice for a good heater for this tank? I'm also looking into getting the led lights but I don't want to be cutting plastic and rewiring things. Can't I just get a bulb with a bunch of LED lights on it and put it on? Thanks

Jc19
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Just transferred my 10 gallon tank to my new Fluval edge 6 gallon Empty Re: Just transferred my 10 gallon tank to my new Fluval edge 6 gallon

Post  rickO2 Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:18 am

Jc19,

The beneficial bacteria that builds in a tank as it cycles is contained mainly in the filter media (ie the sponge etc). That media is what you should have moved to the new tank. Water itself doesn't 'cycle' and contains little significant bacteria.

If you old tank's filter has been kept wet and running then immediatley put it in the new tank and switch it on. Ornaments, plants, gravel etc (if kept wet in the old tank) can also be moved over since they will carry bacteria.

Also do daily large (75+%) water changes per day, till the ammonia and nitres are at zero - you'll need a liquid test kit to measure these properly.

The reason the fish are dying is that there is no new bacteria in the new tank so the fish are swimming about in ammonia and nitrite - both deadly to fish.

Or... If the old tank is still up and running (ie has had sufficient water in it and the fiter has been kept running) then get the fish back in there immediately since it has a larger volume of water...and wait 4-6 weeks whilst the new tank cycles properly.

Here's a good explanation of Cycling...http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/cycling.htm

Regards,

Ricky

rickO2
rickO2
Angelfish

Back to top Go down

Just transferred my 10 gallon tank to my new Fluval edge 6 gallon Empty Re: Just transferred my 10 gallon tank to my new Fluval edge 6 gallon

Post  Jc19 Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks. Yeah i wish i would have known that. Another fish died today and I still have 2 little guys in there. Unfortunately I just changed the filter cartridge the day before so I dont even have the old one to put in the new tank for a little. Sad

Jc19
Neon Tetra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down